Sunday, October 17, 2010

Superstition

I think I mentioned before how superstitious I am. When I was growing up, I'd follow the same routine if my softball team was winning or I was hitting well - everything from eating the same food, not washing my uniform and wearing the same clothes down to my underwear. This continued when Max was little - whatever worked for him to have a good night's sleep: I'd try to replicate it exactly - the number of books read, the amount of milk he drank, the lighting in the room, music, the number of blankets... I know a bit obsessive.

Well, yesterday was the "day" during my pregnancy that Maximo was born. Coincidentally (or not), I ended up in the hospital yesterday with pressure and contractions. I don't think it was psycho-somatic, but really, who knows. Lola is fine and my cervix is still long and closed, so that was reassuring, but I'm still feeling pressure like I did with Maximo. So, I'm going to take the next few days off of work and I'm taking anti-contraction medication. I really just want to make it at least 4-5 weeks more. I've at least made it past "30 weeks and 6 days". I remember when Maximo was born, all I wanted to get past was September 3rd (the day my dad died). I don't know why, superstition perhaps, but I was worried the whole day, like this was just a day of doom and he was going to be taken too. Luckily, it was an uneventful day (as uneventful as the NICU was then) and I hope Lola hangs out in the womb for a wee bit longer. I go back to the doctor on Wednesday to see how the babe and the infamous incompetent cervix are doing. I'll tell you one thing, this body is not made for pregnancy.

No comments: