Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sleep or Swim?

Today we had another great swim class. It's truly amazing what Maximo can do after five swim classes. He is comfortably going under the water now and knows that the cue 1, 2, 3... means close your eyes and shut your mouth. He absolutely loves the pool. It's a pretty structured class for it being a Parent and Child class. I thought we'd just splash around a bit. He plays on a noodle, we practice "backstroke" (him lying on his back with me supporting him - definitely his least favorite), he jumps in the pool into my arms, he goes under the lane markers, etc. Needless to say, it's going quite well and I'm really glad we're doing it - even though it means getting into a somewhat chilly pool, packing and leaving the house by 8:30 am on a Saturday morning. Really the worst of is making sure my exposed bits are shaved and then getting into a one piece (i.e. permanently wedgied on my long torso) bathing suit and put on a swimming cap on a gray, damp Lima morning.
Now, the only negative consequence of swim class is that his morning nap gets pushed back an hour and a half or so. This normally screws him up for the WHOLE weekend. He definitely needs his sleep like me and we're not sure if his lack of being able to settle down or nack for getting overtired is an effect of being born premature or if he would have been like this anyways. I'll tell you what - he's a great kid - cute and tons of fun, but when he's tired... LOOK OUT! (His dad will tell you the same about me.)
We think the swimming is so important and he l-o-v-e-s it, so we're going to keep it up and deal with a cranky kid. I'm thinking that soon (maybe? I don't know, I stopped reading baby development guides, they stressed me out) he'll be cutting back from two naps to one? Don't know, but we hope so!

No comments: