Monday, October 27, 2008

Feeling Like a Real Mom

This morning was just one of those mornings that I was just in Mommy bliss. Maximo slept through the night - I had gotten a good 8 hours of sleep and we just had an amazing morning together. He got up and we played, he ate a good breakfast, then he went down for a two hour nap. During this time, I made a cake (one of my favorites from childhood: Camping Cake) and roasted a leg of lamb. I even had time to get dressed and pick up a couple things around the house. It was fantastic. I felt like a true mom, raising a child, and keeping up the household.
I was sighing in maternal utopia when changing Maximo's diaper. In his fit of rage, he grabbed the bag of cornstarch (we use it like baby powder) and in a fraction of a second, we were both covered as was 1/2 of his bedroom in a fine white powder. If he wasn't on the changing table, I would have run for the camera, because it was quite comical.
We then left for the grocery store to pick up a couple of things. Maximo loves the Vivanda grocery store in our neighborhood because all the girls ooh and ahh over him. Lately he's started to flirt back with them, it's quite cute. He was doing fine, eating a cracker and smiling at all the girls as cooed over him, when the cracker fell. He didn't start fussing or anything, but I knew at that point he would have idle hands. Max started getting squirmy and then realized he could reach the groceries behind him, at which point he threw a bag of spinach on the floor about 40 times. I know I shouldn't have kept picking it up and throwing it back in the cart, but I'd prefer him to throw the spinach rather than my eggs.
We had a great midday meal and then he took a mini-nap (30 minutes). Afterwards, John took him for a walk, so I could clean up the kitchen. They came home and I took him back outside since it was such a gorgeous day, though we had to stay close to the house, because of this:
(sorry, I know it looks so gross, I wanted to share it - I just twisted it yesterday)
We played for an hour and a half in the sand at the playground and went down the slide about 10 million times. He had a great dinner, bottle, and was in bed by 6:30. I couldn't have planned a better Sunday.
My point. We definitely live a different lifestyle here than we would in the states. We have a small army that works for us. It was nice to be home today and look after my son, enjoy time with my husband and cook for my family. Saying this, I don't know how moms do it on a regular basis AND work full time. I know a lot of women do it, but I don't know how; I know you do what you have to do, but still, I think I'd crack. I would love to stay home and do this regularly, though I know it would be different. I was well rested today with nothing but the day to enjoy. I didn't have to think about doing any laundry or vacuuming the house (well except for the cornstarch blizzard in Max's room). I know I say this now and maybe if I was home all the time I'd feel differently, but I don't think so. Hopefully in the future, maybe with #2, I will be able to stay home for a little bit longer and feel like a real mom all the time!
The reality: A day like today makes Mondays all the harder.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

It looks like a real mom's foot....