Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sleeping Baby, Happy Mother

Many people thought we were crazy "cutting our vacation short" and returning back to little old Rokko Island four weeks earlier than we had to report to work. I am a woman with a plan. Both John and I like having time to settle and think about work before all the craziness starts, even more so now that we have kids. Also, the kids and I had been away from our home (we have so many homes) for two whole months. I'm so glad we decided to come back early!

Lola has always been a decent enough sleeper, but we've done things a lot differently with her and she didn't weigh 3 pounds at birth and have to eat every hour and a half (for forever) like her brother. For one, Lola and I co-slept since she was born. It was a lot easier with the night feedings and nursing. But, this meant that John was on the couch or more recently in the bunk beds with Max. As expected, her sleep got a little worse at night over vacation since we were sleeping in different places and her nap schedule was off. We vowed not to do anything until we were back in Japan and everyone was over jetlag.

Before we were parents, I never thought we'd have a problem with our kids sleeping through the night. Well, Maximo changed all that.

And probably the most important thing I've learned as a parent is a tired Mom is an impatient, unhappy Mom. I am one of those people who needs at least 8 hours of sleep a night, 10 being optimum. So, getting Lola to sleep through the night before returning back to work was essential for everyone's survival.

My friend, Heather, recommended this book way before we needed it and I was able to read it then go back over it when we were ready.

In a nutshell, it's a "supported crying-it-out" method. I highly recommend it. It's super easy to follow and left little for me to mess up or change which is good, because it's never easy hearing your baby cry (okay, it's easier with baby #2).

So, five days later, Lola slept 6:30-6:00 am in her crib with no milk! Yay! Now for Step 2, we're going to move the crib into Maximo's room so they can sleep together and John and I can finally sleep together again. I'll keep you informed with how Step 2 goes next week!

No comments: